Monday, June 1, 2020

The Poignant Tale of F.O. Harrell


This item, though not a throwing card, is close enough for the story I'd like to share.  Printed on cardstock with rounded corners and a poorly-superimposed image of the performer wielding the famed billiard balls and a contemporary magician's table, it is a promotional children's show ticket, presumably given out for free (but the parents would certainly have to pay to get in).   Thanks to my friend and fellow historian Michael Claxton, I know that the featured performer, Frank Owens Harrell was born in Georgia in April 1867, and settled in Waltham and Newtonville, MA.

In 1906, The Sphinx noted:
F. O. Harrell, the Musical Magician, of Waltham, Mass.,has worked his magic wand to good advantage, as he has just completed four handsome houses of two flats each in Waltham. Mr. Harrell issues a very attractive announcement of his entertainment
Additionally, I found several a few Chautauqua-type references to Harrell.  But those halcyon days would come to a halt when the nation fell into the depths of the Great Depression.  The other piece I acquired was the following letter typed on cheap onionskin. The accompanying photo appears to have been clipped from a two-color brochure. Yet, it is the most poignant piece in my collection, and its threadbare appearance is part of its story:


The letter speaks volumes about the times.   In the letter, Harrell offers to sell an effect "on account of dull business"-- for the sum of $1.75 -- that he describes as a closely-guarded masterpiece that had been part of his program for 35 years.

Harrell died on Halloween 1945 - three years after typing that letter.

Even for those capable of working wonders, the world can be a tough place.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this. F.O. Harrell was my great-grandfather. He died before I was born but my Dad spoke of him fondly. We have some affects of his (mostly flyers) but have never seen this written piece. Steve Harrell Visalia CA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I'm researching F. O. Harrell because of his Swiss bell ringing and would love to contact you. By the way, I used to live in Visalia. James W Redlands CA.

      Delete
  2. Steve — thanks for your note. I’m so glad that you were able to connect with this piece of your family history. It’s a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete