Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Matt Franco's Card Throwing Cannons!

This post has everything you need.  It captures a fabulous and highly collectible authentic throwing card, tells you where you can get one and, as an added bonus, explores some wonderfully magic things that you may be able to experience.  


Matt Franco, champion of America's Got Talent, who is so very talented that a Las Vegas casino built him his own theater, is one of magic's leading lights.  You can find out all about him on his website,  https://matfranco.com/.  I first encountered him in early 2020 (right before the pandemic!) when the Society of American Magicians sponsored an excursion from its Las Vegas convention to see his show.  Mat is a sphere of magic energy, and his show is one that I've consistently recommended to friends traveling to Vegas.  It features extremely strong and original magic, and is not to be missed!


This year, at the close of the McBride Mystery School's Weekend of Wisdom, a group of us travelled to Mat's new show.  It is marvelous.  I will not disclose any of it here, as I don't want to ruin a thing. But if you're in Las Vegas, do not miss it!


On these pages, we've documented hundreds of promotional throwing cards sporting performers over more than a century.  One of the first questions is whether the card was actually thrown.  In this case, I can share something fascinating: the single playing card in the photo above was not thrown, but was launched (along with hundreds of others) out of one of two hydraulic cannons that are pointed toward the audience and fired! And I caught it!   It is part of a larger magic performance piece -- which, again, I will not disclose -- other than to say it was absolutely marvelous.  From a throwing card perspective, it was unprecedented.


Judge Brown and Mat Franco.

The cards bear his stylized logo, and the jokers feature a silhouette of the performer.  If you see the show, you'll surely be able to pick one up (and buy a whole deck at the theater's shop).


And while I'm giving Mat's show my highest recommendation, I would add that the VIP experience is well worth considering.  Mat is an incredibly cool and kind performer, and getting the chance to meet him and grab a selfie and some merch is something quite worthwhile.  


                                                                           




No comments:

Post a Comment